Post-decree Proceedings


Modification and Enforcement of Illinois Divorce Decrees


Involuntary job loss, a medical disability, a change of residence, or a significant promotion at work are only a few of the many reasons why a spousal maintenance, child support, or child custody decree might need to be modified years after the entry of a divorce decree. Modification proceedings ultimately are determined through the exercise of a judge's discretion after each side presents evidence, but a strong showing of materially changed circumstances will usually result in changes to a divorced spouse's rights or obligations.


Whether you are seeking or opposing an order modifying the provisions of a divorce decree, we represent your interests skillfully and efficiently. Contact the Thomas W. Hunter, P.C., for a free consultation about your legal options. Our exclusive focus on family law issues since 1974 indicates the depth of our experience in the resolution of modification issues due to hardship, an improvement in financial circumstances, or the relocation of a divorced custodial parent to another state or foreign country. Whether you need an increase in child support, a reduction in alimony obligations, or a comprehensive restructuring of your visitation schedule, we will work with you to develop and present the most persuasive case under the facts that will advance or protect your position.


Our lawyers will represent divorced spouses or parents in proceedings to enforce the terms of a family court order that has come into default. Certain violations of divorce decrees carry severe consequences that go well beyond enforcement of the original obligation. For example, default in the payment of child support obligations that continues beyond 90 days can result in the suspension of a driver's license and a 20 percent penalty on the unpaid arrearages. Violation of a domestic violence order for protection can be punished in the criminal courts by jail time, fines, or an order for community service.


Representing parents in post-decree contested adoption proceedings throughout suburban Chicago; these cases usually arise when a divorced custodial parent remarries, and the new spouse wants to adopt one or more children from the previous marriage. Unless the noncustodial parent wishes to relinquish parental rights, a proceeding to terminate parental rights for good cause must usually be litigated. We have the experience and courtroom skill necessary to protect your interests regardless of which side of a contested adoption you happen to be on.


To learn more about our ability to represent your interests effectively in a situation requiring modification or enforcement of an existing divorce decree or other family court order, contact a lawyer at our law office for a free consultation.